Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Appeal Letter

Remember when I said I am going to write an appeal letter?

Well, I finally did, and here it is:

To whom it may concern,

I would like to inquire whether there is any room still available in your hall. I am posted to Hall 1, #12-1-183 currently and find that my current living condition is unsatisfactory. Thus I would like to propose a move to your Hall, should there be any room available.

My current room is located in Block 12, ground floor. Block 12 is heavily surrounded by vegetation, and even though it is very windy here, it makes it much easier for dust to accumulate in my room. As a result, I am stuck with having to clean my room almost every day. Not to mention being in ground floor means I have to deal with constant encounter with insects and ants. I used to have a history of dust allergy, i fear that it may be worsening with prolonged exposure here. I can provide medical letter if requested. And frankly, I do not appreciate these insect bites. I believe such dust and insects problem is not so severe in your hall, based on my experience in Hall 8 last year.

Hall 1, Block 12 is one of the older halls. I find that my bed is really used up with no more spring action underneath. I have been sleeping here for the past 4 days and every morning I wake up with severe ache on my back, without fail. This has caused me difficulties in performing simple task in the morning, as simple and sitting down and getting up without any pain inflicted on my back. I stayed in Hall 8 last year, and I have never experienced such problem with newer mattress.

Moreover, the location of this block does not make it better. Block 12 is located on the hill, only accessible through long walks and numerous stairs. Currently I am heavily involved in NTU CAC Choir where practices in the North Spine area tend to drag on until late in the night, where bus services have ended. So for the last couple days I have been facing long and hilly walk from north spine in the night, often with bulky things to carry. I know I will get used to it over time, but moving to your hall will save me a lot of trouble in the future.

Furthermore, I can say that I am not very compatible staying with my given roommate. He is a foreigner hailed from India. Our differences in culture results in us having great difference in our sense of smell. And sad to say, he does not really meet the standard of hygiene that I like. For example, he keeps walking around the room in dirty slippers, leave his container unwashed to leave the smell in the room, and seem not to bother with his personal hygiene. I have nothing against Indian, just that our culture is a bit different thus I cannot really appreciate it.

Last but not least, my room is located just beside the TV lounge. While it is convenient for me to watch TV, I find that the noise level is irritable, even in the middle of the night, as late as 2am. It is worsened by the fact that said TV room is located in open area, so noise really travels.

I know that I should be grateful to the fact that I have been given a hall, and I am. Just that I realize by changing room I can improve my living condition a lot for a year, thus I wrote this letter to appeal to you to let me move from my current room. I really believe such improvement to my current living condition can help me concentrate better in my study and ECA, and get better results from them. I am currently ABP student and I aim to finish undergraduate study in three and a half year, thus I greatly prefer my room to be a conducive study atmosphere.

Should there be no more room available, I hope u can give me a notice in the future should any vacancy comes up, and facilitate so that I can move to your hall. I look forward to hearing your reply soon.

Thank you for your attention.

Hari Aditya


I hope this works. And I think some parts are actually quite funny. Pardon my English, I haven't written any essay in a long time. But guess what? This appeal letter is 700 words, as long as GP essay.

I have a feeling they're gonna scold me for this. But never mind, at least I tried.

If only I can have that super cool phrase for every aspect of me. At least I tried.

and it's not like I didn't try
but, hey, at least I tried

No comments:

Post a Comment